Forum home Plants

Ideas for lawn edging plants that mower can brush past ...

ukequusCI_vbFMYukequusCI_vbFMY Peak District Posts: 4
Hello all, looking for ways to reduce the need for strimming lawn edges.  V lucky to have 0.75acre garden, but that’s a lot of edges!   Got a combination of sleepers, wood chip and just plain edges at the moment.  Would love mower strips but not practical, too big a project for now.  

I’m wondering about using plants on some the lawn/bed edges that would not mind being brushed by the mower as it goes past - alchemilla mollis comes to mind but I know it’s a bit of a thug.  Any other options you can think of?  Probably needs to grow 4-6 inches high so the mower can get underneath the foliage, iykwim. 

Thanks I’m advance for any ideas! 

• BenjiBenji Posts: 10
    You could leave the grass to grow along the edges in a picture frame style. Good for insects, super easy to mow each time.  If you do it maybe 30 cm or so it would look designed rather than accidental. 
    Alternatively, I would maybe suggest lavender or sage.  My lavender and sage plants cover a messy edge very well and my mower slips under them without damaging them. 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    I do this with hardy geraniums on my front lawn, they grow back quickly and are completely unbothered by getting a bit mowed around the edges!
  • ukequusCI_vbFMYukequusCI_vbFMY Peak District Posts: 4
    Thank you both, those are great ideas.  Sage and Hardy geraniums grow well here, have not had much luck with lavender, maybe because we’re on limestone it’s a bit too alkaline .. ?

off to do some plant splitting 😀. Any other suggestions welcome too. 

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 372
    Hello all, looking for ways to reduce the need for strimming lawn edges.  V lucky to have 0.75acre garden, but that’s a lot of edges!   Got a combination of sleepers, wood chip and just plain edges at the moment.  Would love mower strips but not practical, too big a project for now.  

I’m wondering about using plants on some the lawn/bed edges that would not mind being brushed by the mower as it goes past - alchemilla mollis comes to mind but I know it’s a bit of a thug.  Any other options you can think of?  Probably needs to grow 4-6 inches high so the mower can get underneath the foliage, iykwim. 

I have alchemilla for exactly this purpose. I don't find it thuggish at all. It's easy to control and when it does start to spread i dig some up and pass it on to a local gardening charity.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,278
    gjautos said:

I have alchemilla for exactly this purpose. I don't find it thuggish at all. It's easy to control and when it does start to spread i dig some up and pass it on to a local gardening charity.
    Totally agree ... wonderful plant ... I've never found it thuggish ... I wish it'd selfseed a bit more  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ukequusCI_vbFMYukequusCI_vbFMY Peak District Posts: 4
    Lol, perhaps its reputation has been exaggerated then!  I do rather like it. 
    Great advice, thank you 😊