Forum home Plants

a plant with a smell and very sticky leaves

Friends of ours brought back some cuttings from Southern Portugal and they gave some to us. The plant smells to high heaven and the leaves are sticky. It seems to take well here in the UK but I am at a loss to know what the name of the plant is. Any ideas?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Welcome to the forum.

I would burn the lot. People are not supposed to bring plants into the country, to protect biosecurity.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,318
    Welcome to the Forum. 
    Bringing back plants is illegal.
    You could be bringing in all sorts of disease and the plant might be invasive. 
    If you don't know what it is, I'd put it in a sealed plastic bag and dispose of it.

Devon.
  • The smell emanates when you rub thumb and finger across the leaf, much as you would with a herb such as Mint.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    Still illegal and potentially dangerous.  Bin or burn.  Do not compost or put in the green waste in.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • These were brought back before Britain left the EU. They were for personal use and were covered under plant passport rules. I grant you one needs a phyto certificate from this year onwards - all I wanted is a name for the plant!!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    Invasive pests as well as diseases as well as being potentially being invasive itself. Your friends could have illegally imported a monster. Well, you have planted it, your friends have planted it. If you both not prepared to dig it up and dispose of it safely, as you have been strongly urged to do, you will at least need to give us some more information for an ID. First, post a photo of the whole plant and a close-up of the leaves. Tell us does it flower and if so when and describe them, what does it smell of? ‘A smelly plant from Portugal’ is not much to go on!
  • Thanks for the help guys. It turns out to be Cistus or Rock Rose. RHS gold medal winner and height is about 1 metre x 50cms. On that basis discussion closed.
  • The aroma is used as an essential oil in perfumes. So when you buy your next bottle of Aramis....