Forum home Plants

What to plant here, advise a novice gardener please

COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 40
Hi folks I’m a novice gardener and I’d like to put a climber against this trellis. It’s North facing and during the summer gets a decent amount of sun time but as you can see otherwise it can be shady. It’s wind protected. Ideally I’m after something colourful and appealing to bees and that will spread. Am I asking too much?. I don’t know how to rotate the photo though.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,022
    edited April 2021
    Ivy.
    Climbing Hydrangea.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Hi! Helix Hedera - common English Ivy, copes with a North facing wall, and is super for bees and birds! Because it gets reasonable sun in summer it should flower, these are pretty. Ivy spreads well and is favoured by small birds for cover and roosting. Pollinators really love it, and you'll even provide moths a safe place.

Boston Ivy is good for north facing, turn red in Autumn, but bear in mind not near as good for wildlife at all.

If you didn't fancy Ivy, Honeysuckle is a great shout for low ligth areas - Lonicera periclymenum. I have the Graham Thomas variety - both this and plain wild one are super for pollinators and birds again. They smell lovely and have lovely flower heads.

Finally Clematis is a flowering climber with varieties good for north walls e.g. moonlight or montana. I think Clematis varieties can be good for pollinators.

Hope that helps, good luck!
    GoldylookinFinch

• COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 40
    Thank you both, much appreciated.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Honeysuckle