Forum home Plants

Dicentra and hellebore growing on the path, can I move them?

ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,035
I’m just getting round to clearing some of the paths in the garden, and have found lots of dicentra plants have spread onto the path, and hellebore seedlings growing in the gravel. Would it be practical to try and move them to an area I’ve recently cleared ivy from, and I’d love to get some plants growing in. If not, can I collect seed somehow, to sprinkle elsewhere in the garden?
Its a big garden, so I won’t have time for anything too fiddly.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,970
    Yes just dig up, move, and water in well.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,148
    Loxley said:
    Yes just dig up, move, and water in well.

I agree ... I shuffle hellebore seedlings around all over the place.  Give them a good soaking when you move them and they'll be fine.  If you're not sure where they're going yet pop them in a pot and keep them in a shady corner, water occasionally and they'll grow on and you can plant them out when you're ready. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,035
    That’s great, thanks. They are on the boundary of a ‘wild’ area, so I’ll move them into that. Hopefully they can spread happily there where they won’t be in the way.
  • SophieKSophieK Wimbledon, LondonPosts: 242
    I have moved both types of plants last year, watered them well etc and they have performed very well in their new location.