Forum home Plants

Wind damaged young tree

I have an ornamental crabapple tree, full of blossom at the moment.  It was planted about 3 years ago.  Yesterday a strong gust of wind snapped the top off it.  I am devastated as it is so pretty.  It was hanging on by the bark which my husband cut off.  Can we save it and if so how?  Many thanks in advance.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Is it staked can't see in the picture,?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    A gust of wind?  Really?!  Gracious me ... Whereabouts are you ... the Shetland Isles?!  

What a shame.  My instinct would be to find a promising looking side shoot or bud and cut the trunk back neatly to just above it ... a sloping cut, and hopefully that bud will develop and take over as a 'leader' .... it may not have such a regular shape as it would otherwise have done but I think that as trees mature a slightly eccentric shape can be really attractive on a blossom-covered tree ... just think of some of the mature Japanese cherries.  

It's a shame, but I don't think all is lost.  I do hope not 🤞
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• In answer to Nanny Beach it has an H support but it is out of the picture.

thanks Dovefromabove that is really useful.  We are in Devon, fairly close to the coast and in an exposed position.  It s really windy down here at the moment although not stormy we are getting some really strong gusts at the moment.  It was upright when I left the hiuse at 3pm and by 5pm is was broken.  I will give your suggestion a go and hopefully it will survive.  Thanks 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    If you can post a photo of tree, now the broken bit has been removed, we should be able to advise where best to make the clean sloping cut.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.