Forum home Plants

Two ID’s Please!

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
1. This has always been that irritating, spiky shrub thing in my wild woodland, but this year has burst into flower. My neighbour says it’s a tree heather, is she right? As you can see from photo three, it can get pretty large:

2 . This sapling has recently sprung up from nowhere, any ideas on this one, looks a bit scary/invasive:

Many thanks.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    The bottom one is a horse chestnut.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    Someone’s planted a conker for No. 2 

Don’t know No. 1 ... sorry. It looks rather gorgeous tho ... is it scented? It looks as tho it ought to be 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    Tree Heather. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    I googled tree heather and got Erica arborea - which looks a lot like what you have (not the baby conker tree, the other one). It's very pretty.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,706
    Lyn said:
    Tree Heather. 
    aka Erica arborea
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 1,081
    edited April 2021
    Second one I agree
    Edit, beaten to it

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Interesting, Nollie, given how alkaline your soil is. Maybe you can grow more than you think.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    Thanks everyone, brilliant as ever. 

We did think ‘that looks like a horse chestnut’ then dismissed that as crazy, how would’ve it got here unless it’s been planted by a child and been lying dormant for over 5 years since we bought the house? If dropped by a bird, it would have to have been a big bird!

@Dovefromabove not sure if it’s scented will investigate...

@edhelka yes interesting! The steep, wild woodland where the heather is growing is at the top of my plot, a tiny sliver of the ancient, predominantly holm oak forest surrounding me. Holm oaks (Quercus ilex) grow on a wide range of soils, but perhaps hundreds of years of leaf litter has neutralised the soil enough for the heather to grow? The useable terraced land below where I garden is very alkaline.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    Well I solved the mystery of how I ended up with a little Horse Chestnut sapling! I started digging around it today as it has to go (too close to a path and other trees). There is a two inch thick lopped off trunk buried in the leaf litter, it’s re-sprouted from that, having been dormant for 5 or more years since we bought the house.

@Dovefromabove sorry, I forgot to get back to you, no scent from the Tree Heathers. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    @Nollie thanks for checking ... it looks gorgeous anyway 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh