Forum home Plants

How to train a ceanothus up a fence

I’ve recently purchased a ceanothus and read on the label it can be trained up a fence. 
Does this mean it will naturally lean and grow up the fence itself or do I need to add a trellis to train it up? 
If anyone has any photos showing how they grown their’s up a fence it would be appreciated ☺️

• Unfortunately I don't know, but shall be watching post as have one from last year, still haven't decided on where to plant. Must do as not flowering yet eek
  • poppyfield64poppyfield64 CornwallPosts: 332
    We have one growing up our arbour and have tied it in. It does have a strong trunk though so against a wall you may not need to as much. 

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    I planted one in the autumn buts it’s only a small plant still. It’s not a self clinging plant so the stems will need to be spread out and tied into place carefully. Mine gets to 3m tall and has variegated leaves. It gets morning sun then afternoon shade. 

Yours is a good size already with lovely blue flowers, it will look stunning.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

Don’t know why the photo quality is so poor, it’s good on my iPhone, the variety is “El Dorado”

@poppyfield64 that looks wonderful, it must be stunning and buzzing with bees when in flower!🐝

Thank you @Bright star  We only planted it last year so this will be our first year of flowers.  Really looking forward to seeing them and the bees.  It seems to have grown very quickly too.  Mine is in the same position as yours with morning sun and afternoon shade.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    They don't need to be trained against a fence as they are naturally stand alone shrubs/small trees with sturdy trunks as already stated. If you wanted to, you could install wires or trellis on the fence, then fan the young branches out and tie them in gently but it's a bit of a faff. They do grow quite fast but are not long lived.
  • @poppyfield64 what a beautiful established plant you have! So helpful to see how it can look full grown. 
    @Bright star Yours looks great! I’m definitely going to have a bash at some careful tying in to the fence as if I can avoid putting up a trellis I definitely will 😅
    I believe the variety we have is called Concha 💜💙
    @Lizzie27 great adevice! 

I’m always so overwhelmed at the wealth of knowledge and kindness on this forum so thank you all 🐝 
    Thank you @Dinnerplatedahlias🌸 I'm sure yours will be growing away soon and you already have some lovely flower buds to look forward too.