Forum home Plants

Are these bluebells?

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 608
I have, for the last 12 years, assumed that these were Spanish bluebells, but having picked some yesterday, I realized that they don't look quite like I expect bluebells to look and they are scented. Any ideas? I dug a few up - no bulbs I can find. There might be two types of plant here? Or are they just bluebells?!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    Yes, I think so. Mine are closer to the one on the right with the flowers more spaced out on the stem but yours look as if there's some browning/curling on the leaves as well so maybe something's made them a bit stunted. The bulbs go deeper than you think and if you just pull, or don't get the spade in deep enough underneath them, they just break off.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 608
    Thanks. It does seem odd that they are scented.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,028
    Might it be squill?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    By squill do you mean pushkinia scilloides, @B3 or something else? They have a similar flower shape/configurationbut the wrong colour.

I think the one on the far right *is* a bluebell but still not convinced the others are. It doesn't really matter. They do the same job as Spanish bluebells (too much foliage that chokes out my other bulbs, but still a nice splash of colour :) ) only with scent.

I do still wonder if these are hybrids.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,558
    I'm wondering if they are hyacinths.  We plant our old indoor ones under a hedge and after a few years they come up looking really quite scrawny.
    That is a possiblity. They have not retained big bulbs though.