Forum home Plants

Sweet peas?

Grown indoors, was wondering when i’d be able to plant them up outside? Do I need to harden them off first?

• Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 60
    I've been putting mine outside in the day (in the sunshine) and bringing in at night for a week now. I read the breeze makes the plants strengthen the stems. I plan to plant out once the frost has passed.
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,299
    They can take a bit of frost (they are pretty hardy plants) but only if they have been hardened off (in the way @Captain_Chaos describes) for a couple of weeks first.  I would also pinch out the tips of each plant, leaving 2 or 3 sets of leaves on each.  This wiil encourage your plants to become bushier, and will give you more flowers later on.  Only exception to this is if you are growing them for show, in which case don’t pinch them out, and you will end up with less flowers, but they will be bigger 🌸
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    pinch them out before hardening them off, they are indeed hardy annuals, even Monty has his out
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    They hate root disturbence, which is why the magority of folk grow them in either root trainers (if you are posh like me) or toilet roll inners
  • cooldoccooldoc West MidlandsPosts: 522
    edited April 2021
    Mine was transplanted to pots outside since mid march (with no hardening) and they are doing well so far (Hertfordshire county).
  • thank you for all the advice!