Forum home Garden design

Fence good or bad side

I have a fence that backs into a common driveway. What is the standard way of putting it? Good side in or out? 

I like the good side more so I'm tempted to put it to the inside but would it look weird?

• If your paying for it, it's your choice. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    It's accepted that if it's your fence the bad side faces you. Always think thats not right though, you pay for it you should deserve the good side.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,601
    The convention is the fence owner has the ‘bad’ side facing them, a rum state of affairs. I don’t think it would look strange if you had the good side; if that’s what you want then go for it. 
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 168
    Yeah the problem is I don't know what I want  :D 

I feel the good side out is weird because the fence is not "enclosing" the garden.. anyway.. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree, and don't think it will look at all odd having the 'bad' side facing a driveway.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 168
    Sorry meant good side in would be weird
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,562
    The good side clearly looks better but, for maintenance, you need easy access to the "bad" side.   You can also hide the bad side with some interesting tall plants/climbers/shrubs and you could also paint it all black so it recedes from view and your plants pop.

I'd also worry that having the bad side on the outside would give easier access to potential villains climbing over so it depends on who or what that drive is for.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,601
    I have joint ownership with a neighbour of about 100’ of fencing. Because I organised the purchase and erection of the fence I got to decide which ‘face’ I wanted. I didn’t think twice about having the good side and don’t think it looks odd.  
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,433
    I know the bad side etiquette, but seeing as his builders deliberately damaged ours in the hope of getting extra work, I thought bggggr etiquette.
    However, if your fence is along a public walkway or you are concerned about safety, it's best to have the good side facing out so that there's nothing for miscreants to climb up.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 881
    The posts have to be entirely on your land so you are losing a bit of planting space if the good face is your side.