Forum home The potting shed

Cookery question

AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,261
Just wondering if any of the cooks out there know what is meant by "hot sauce" in an American recipe please ?

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,293
    Hi Anni  - I would interpret that as being spicy or chilli.  
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• AthelasAthelas Posts: 384
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,261
    I see. That makes sense !
    Many thanks @tuikowhai34 and @Athelas :)
  • AthelasAthelas Posts: 384
    edited 22 April
    No worries. The big question is, what are you cooking?  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,292
    Curious too.   Just remember that USA recipes for sauces, dips, marinades are usually sweet with a higher sugar content than suits a UK palate.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Athelas @Obelixx,
    It's Root Beer chicken
    https://www.yummly.co.uk/recipe/Root-Beer-Chicken-1591480

For reasons best known to himself my OH bought 6 cans of root beer then decided he wasn't that keen on it. I still have 4 cans cluttering up the place and thought l'd try and use them up somehow. 
    This recipe caught my eye because l have all the ingredients - except the hot sauce! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,776
    Have you tasted root beer?😕
    Perhaps the hot sauce is to hide the taste.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Sriracha would do or chilli jam or a pinch or two of powdered chillies or just plain chopped fresh chillies depending on what you have and like.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks @Obelixx , l do have chilli flakes, that would do l suppose.
    @B3 l have never tasted root beer, l think he was trying to recreate the spirit of our holidays in the USA. He had one in Florida once if l recall, l can't remember him raving about it even then.

If you're not a chilli fan, just leave it out or use it sparingly.

I have chilli in several forms - fresh, dried whole, flaked, powdered, home made chilli jam and then hot chilli sauce, sweet chilli sauce, sriracha, gochujang and in assorted Chinese bean pastes, Thai curry pastes and so on.   I love it but don't ever want it to be volcanic to the point of mouth, tongue and taste bud numbing or burning.