Forum home Plants

Potting on cistus

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,778
I got a couple of cistus (corbariensis and purpureus) in October. They were on the 'doomed' shelf at the local GC but perked up after being put into bigger pots.

Some of the leaves are now starting to look grotty again, which may be related to frost or maybe need potting on again?

I've read that they like poor soil so what would you recommend I add to their new pots (I don't have anywhere to put them into the ground just yet)? I think I put MPC in last year but would long-neglected soil from the garden be better?

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Hi - yes, they like well-drained low-nutrient soil - so maybe repotting into soil with some grit would be better than MPC. I made the mistake of feeding mine when I planted it - it grew like mad but not a single flower. It's been deliberately neglected this year, so I am hoping for some flowers.

The grotty leaves I think are just the old ones dying and falling off. They do go leggy, and don't like pruning, so you could pinch out some of the tips to encourage more bushy growth?
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,778
    Thanks @Pianoplayer. I can do crappy soil mixed with horticultural grit, no problem :)

I'll try pinching out as well.