Forum home Plants

Buddleja Hedge

BuchBuch Posts: 36
What would be a good distance apart to plant Buddlejas (Royal Red) to make a hedge? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    How tall do you want the hedge to be?  I cut my buddlejas down to knee-height every March ... while it doesn’t take too long to get back into vigorous growth, it’s not what you would describe as a ‘regular hedge’. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BuchBuch Posts: 36
    How tall do you want the hedge to be?  I cut my buddlejas down to knee-height every March ... while it doesn’t take too long to get back into vigorous growth, it’s not what you would describe as a ‘regular hedge’. 
    Don't mind about the height, and I also wouldn't mind cutting them back to ground level. I don't necessarily need a regular hedge, just want to have a mass of them growing together and wonder how far apart at minimum they can go
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    It depends.

I have a buddleia "masquerade" which can get to 1.5 metres high and ide but another non variegated buddleia which gets to 3m high and wide without any encouragement.   The Buzz series is dwarf and grows less tall and wide.

I suggest you select the varieties you like best then check here for eventual height and width - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results-beta?form-mode=true&query=Buddleja davidii  Your planting distance will depend on eventual width of the plants chosen.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    ‘Royal Red’ is pretty vigorous .., a five year old bush can have a spread of 4 metres diameter. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Obelixx said:
    It depends.

I have a buddleia "masquerade" which can get to 1.5 metres high and ide but another non variegated buddleia which gets to 3m high and wide without any encouragement.   The Buzz series is dwarf and grows less tall and wide.

I suggest you select the varieties you like best then check here for eventual height and width - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results-beta?form-mode=true&query=Buddleja davidii  Your planting distance will depend on eventual width of the plants chosen.
    Thanks. So according to that link, Royal Red grows to 2.5–4 metres. Would 1 metre apart be too close?
    Yes.  If all the plants grow 2.5 metres wide they need to be at least 2m apart so you get some overlap but not congestion.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Yes.  If all the plants grow 2.5 metres wide they need to be at least 2m apart so you get some overlap but not congestion.
    I messed up buying so many of them, I don't think I have enough room, it's kind of funny. I have 10 of them
    Well, you either need to plant them closer, maybe in 2 staggered rows, and treat them mean or else find homes for half of them.  Freecycle?