Forum home Problem solving

Help! What to Plant

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844
    I'd agree too @Hostafan1, but I expect @jessbee has already tackled it - re her earlier post in April. It would be interesting to see if it recovered or not, and whether she put some new plants in, like the ones @Obelixx suggested.   :)
    They mostly look terrible round here, those Photinias, because they like consistent warmth, lighter soil, and drier conditions. They've looked much better this year because of the weird weather we've had. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 172
    edited September 2021
    Welcome to the forum! I love that feathery-looking tree behind the photinia in photo 1. You must have a lot of fun gardening in Australia; such amazing plants.
    Thank you for the welcome Cambridgerose :)  The tree in the background is a Jacaranda, our street is lined with them, so quite spectacular when flowering in the summer. We have a huge one in the back yard...providing great shade but definitely not recommended...best admired from a distance in my opinion :)
    Oh that brought so many memories from my childhood (not in Australia though). We used to press the Jacaranda flowers, and splash each other.. A street lined with them is a sight to behold as well.
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited September 2021
    > Oh that brought so many memories from my childhood (not in Australia though
    > but still southern hemisphere). We used to press the Jacaranda flowers, and
    > splash each other. A street lined with them is a sight to behold as well.

That paints a lovely picture in the mind.  Where I grew up there were jasmines planted all around the house outside.
  • didywdidyw Posts: 3,532
    Mine was in a narrow border which became infested with phygelius during a few years of neglect.  It was the devils own job to get all of the phygelius out and improve the bed, but in the meantime the photinia had grown into a small tree. We pruned out some of the branches and now I just let it be.  It is south facing in very dry sandy soil so not much will grow under it, but I do have some irises (lifted and divided from another bed) on one side with geranium, heuchera and annual dahlias on the other at the moment. This is from last year:

Gardening in East Suffolk on dry sandy soil.