Forum home Plants

Planting herb seeds

Jamie DJayJamie DJay Posts: 62
edited April 2021 in Plants
Morning all, I have finally got a garden worthy of ‘edibles’. My question is, I have 2 raised beds and would like to make them herb gardens, could I plant the seeds straight into the ground? I’m also thinking of putting a few tomato seeds in there aswell, would this be possible? Cheers!

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,006
    edited April 2021
    Which herbs are you thinking of growing Jamie ?
    I think tomatoes are best started indoors,  even if you only have a kitchen windowsill that will do, but you need to sow very soon. Some information  here :)
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-tomatoes/#:~:text=To grow tomatoes successfully, you,) and indeterminate (cordon).
  • AnniD said:
    Which herbs are you thinking of growing Jamie ?
    I think tomatoes are best started indoors,  even if you only have a kitchen windowsill that will do  :)
    I bought a herb pack that includes thyme, rosemary, coriander, parsley, oregano, basil, lemon balm (I definitely want this in the garden), sage, chives, peppermint and dill...

I think I’ll probably get established tomato plants from the local gardening center, would they be ok to plant direct?
    edited April 2021
    Tomatoes can be susceptible to frost, so l would be cautious. Garden centres can put plants out for sale that haven't been hardened off properly so they can really suffer. 
    I'd suggest checking with a member of staff and maybe leaving them out during the day and bringing them at  night for at least a week (the tomatoes that is, not the member of staff).
    Basil is another that is very sensitive to cold temperatures, l would definitely keep that inside for a while yet. I think the others will be okay but l am not sure about the Lemon Balm.

There are a lot of tomato growers on this forum who can hopefully give you some advice. 
    A lot also depends on your location in the UK, temperatures can vary quite widely. 
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,579
    Hi  @Jamie DJay

Good for you!  Just let it be known that Rosemary and Sage can grow into quite large bushes.  Rosemary is a trailing plant.  Coriander, parsley, oregano, chives and basil  should be all right together.  Dill also maybe.  Thyme can get quite big so give that some space.  Peppermint or mint is invasive and could smother the other plants and take over the bed.  A good idea for mint:  Make holes in the bottom of a large tin, and sow the seed in there, that way, the plant is root bound and (hopefully) won't try and get out!  Maybe in the corner of the bed.  Tomatoes and basil go well together and the basil will keep mosquitoes away.  

It's a bit early to plant tomato seedlings out yet - too cold at night.  Wait until at least mid-May.  @AnniD is right to say, start the seeds off indoors on a windowsill - by the time they are ready, it will be end of May.  Parsley and coriander take about a month to surface - I sowed thyme and sage ages ago and they haven't surfaced yet.  Above all - be patient!!!  Good luck.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• @tuikowhai34 thanks for your reply. So start all seeds indoors then plant outside when it’s a bit warmer. I don’t think I have enough room inside! I suppose I’ll have to find room. My daughter is also dead set on planting peas, the last time I done this I literally chucked them in the ground and was surprised when then appeared and we actually got a fair amount of peas, would that be the best way? Or start these inside too? Thanks for your help guys!!
  • Oh and I live in Suffolk if that’s any help?
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,579
    Peas like the cold, so you can sow them outside now.  Yes, start herb seeds inside.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

edited April 2021
    You can buy a propagator that's small enough to fit on a windowsill such as this one
    https://www.primrose.co.uk/sow-grow-windowsill-propagator-p-40333.html
    They are really useful as you and your daughter can keep a close eye on what is happening. 

If you have the room you could invest in a plastic greenhouse or maybe a coldframe 
    https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/garden-and-diy/greenhouses/greenhouses/c:29490/

If you really want to get into growing vegetables etc. it might be worth considering. 

• WildFlower_UKWildFlower_UK Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 215
    Just to add that some herbs can be sown outside as well (or at least that's what the packet says and I'm trying this year!). I've sown coriander and parsley seeds outside (still waiting for germination), but like others have said, basil I've started inside and won't plant out until late May/early June. 

• I popped to the shop and got these biodegradable pots and sat them in a tray. This window is in the kitchen and gets the sun all day so fingers crossed I have some luck with these. The thyme was bought from Asda yesterday for 50p so planted it up as well...

the peas will be here tomorrow so I’ll get her to plant them straight into the garden...

thanks for your help guys!