Forum home Plants

Purvi Patel

patparipatpari Posts: 38
Hi i have questions regarding wisteria floribundas pink. I did buy the plant and now have been reading about how tall it can grow. My question is can i plant along the fence on wire on west side of wall or does it really need to go on wall. I want to train it horizontally mind you i have got few fruit trees on that side of wall. Will it kill those trees. 

Thank you in advance

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    I have just planted a white form of wisteria next to a mesh fence round our veggie plot.  The fence is about 1.25 m high and I need the wisteria to hide the compost bins we cleverly installed in a corner that is highly visible form the house and the rest of the garden.   I shall train it across the fence and let it grow as long as it wants to and up and over the arch at the gate.

I don't see why it would kill any other plant but don't let it grow into your fruit trees as it will, as it grows, become as sturdy and heavy as a tree as the wood matures.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • patparipatpari Posts: 38
    thank you obelixx that was my worry
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,369
    Wow! @Obelixx, that is superb. Did the flowers survive the frosts this year?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    That was last April @Busy-Lizzie.  Unfortunately, the recent frosts have made the top and outside half of each "bunch" of flowers go grey so not as pretty this year and petals falling early too now.  Not to worry, the newer flowers will pick up soon and it does tend to flower sporadically and quite well thru summer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,547
    That wisteria is a beauty @Obelixx!
    We love it - gorgeous, perfume too and buzzes with bees and co.  Can't take the credit tho as all I've done is inherit a good un and pruned it occasionally to improve the shape.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,136
    Obelixx said:
    This is a mature one of mine that we inherited.  Their trunks and stems get very thick and woody over time and become self supporting.   As you can see, it would swamp a tree.

Magnificent.
    Rarely seen anything as good...very very envious!
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited April 2021
    Thanks @Silver surfer but there must be loads of magnificent specimens about.

There's a huge one on a wall at the Abbaye d'Aywiers, Lasne, Belgium.  It goes up 3 or 4 stories and covers a huge wall with an arch and a road thru it.  Usually in flower for the May plant fair and the perfume is intoxicating.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    They've got a good one at Hampton Court