Forum home Plants

Tree identification

welshcakewelshcake Posts: 107
Can anybody please identify this tree that was cut down in the winter but has started re-growing?  I think both stumps are from one tree but it could be two trees

• welshcakewelshcake Posts: 107
    Is it an elderflower?
    I really don't know what was there before it got cut down so can't hazard a guess.  I did look at elderflower as a possibility when I was trying to work out what it could be.  The leaves are definitely serrated like an elderflower but I thought they might be a bit too clumped together.
  • Yes, it’s an elder. Unless you want to keep it, you will need to dig out the root as well, they are very persistent.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Yes, it’s an elder. Unless you want to keep it, you will need to dig out the root as well, they are very persistent.
    I absolutely agree 100%
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• welshcakewelshcake Posts: 107
    Thanks both although @Dovefromabove I probably should have recognised it from my other tree growing post you also confirmed was an elder!  Completely different part of the garden but also happy this one survived and I’ll let it carry on growing