Forum home The potting shed

What should I feed my garden planted Normandy Fir tree?

I bought in 2019 a small grown in post Normandy fir and planted it in the garden as soon as I got it. It has been growing well but now it has started to die at the back. I want to give it a feed of something that will revive it but don't know what to use for the best. 
Please can you help.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763
    Can you post a picture of the whole plant, and the die back area?  I feel like it is probably due to something near it, rather than a feeding issue.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Mrs-L-2Mrs-L-2 Posts: 3
    Hi, I've attached the pictures but they aren't very good. As you can see the front looks ok but the side to the right towards the back has the brown bits starting.  If you enlarge it you can just about see it.  It is in a raised border, and was planted in a mixture of Ericaceous and ordinary soil. About 1ft away at the back is a fence. There is a very large Holly tree to left and a Lilac tree to the right. Both of these trees are very old so their roots are much lower than my fir.
    In the forefront, the messy looking leaves are my bluebells which are just starting to come through. And the other is a bottle brush plant.
    Thank you for answering my question. Best regard L
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,799
    edited 21 April
    I think the fir tree is planted far too close to the fence, needs to be at least 2-3 ft away to allow for future growth. Presumably you researched beforehand how big it is likely to grow?  Probably it is just suffering from lack of water as your two older bushes each side are likely taking all the available moisture.  The back of it is always going to suffer from lack of light and will be in a rain shadow. I'm not sure it's in the right place I'm afraid.

Just looked it up, if its a Nordman fir (Xmas tree), they grow absolutely enormous with a trunk diameter of around 1 metre  and a height of 60 metres so definitely not a plant for a garden!
  • Mrs-L-2Mrs-L-2 Posts: 3
    Thank you Lizzie for your advice.  I didn't think about the size when I planted it. as my garden is a postage stamp size. However I will move it further forward from the fence. The raised boarder was built on a mound, the fence isn't that deeply set so it's roots can grow under it and the ground over the fence is actually a field. However there are two very large sycamores and a really ancient Yew tree quite near and I assume they are all are fighting for nutrients so I suspect it won't grow that big. Unfortunately I have nowhere else to put it but back into a pot and I don't want to do that.  As you said it must be starved by the other trees so I will give it more water than I usually do and put down slow release fertilizer. With best regards L