Forum home Plants

Do you know this plant?

shsshs Posts: 21
Hello.  I was told this was a daphne and went to look for another just like it and the daphnes in the garden centre were completely different - so perhaps it’s something else? Or a particular strain of daphne? Your help much appreciated. 

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,310
    Not a flower person shs and the photo is a bit on the small side but might it be Choisya? 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 685
    Can you get closer shots of the flowers and the leaves?
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 506
    the photo is a bit small. If it isn't daphne (it should have a nice fragrance to it) it may be an azalea or a myrtle (bit early to be in flower though) can you take another photo that shows the leaves?
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • shsshs Posts: 21
    Hi thanks for replying - here it is next to hebe which might give leaf size indication ....
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 506
    it is a Daphne I think. There is a variety called Daphne mezerum Alba but it is deciduous I think. This could be a dwarf one called cneorum. I am sure someone will come along with much better knowldege! It is a very pretty plant anyway. :)
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,310
    Definitely not Choisya and it does look like a Daphne, my daughter has one called Eternal Fragrance or something similar and it looks like hers.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Looks very much like what's commercially known as Daphne Eternal Fragrance 

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 685
    It does look like a daphne. Maybe ‘Eternal Fragrance’ (https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/wisley/fragrant-daphne)
  • shsshs Posts: 21
    Many thanks for your help