Forum home The potting shed

odd leaves

What is the name of a plant that has a thing coming out of the center of the leaf and the thing looks like a bug? The leaves are about 2 1/2 inches long, and about 1 inch at its widest point. The leaves are pointy. Thank you!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    Hi @cathleenarmstrong52 and welcome to the forum 😊 

It would help us to name your plant if you could show us a photo or two. 

To upload a photo you can click on the little ‘landscape’ icon and follow the instructions. 
    It’s best if the picture is in landscape rather than portrait format. 
    If the picture doesn’t upload reducing its size a bit usually works. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    @Dovefromabove is good at naming plants but I think that's nigh on impossible.

Is the 'thing'  you refer to a flower and what sort of bug, ladybird, beetle, caterpillar?
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Trillium?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Trillium crossed my mind too @herbaceous ... but I don’t get the ‘bug’ reference ... I s’pose it could be in the eye of the beholder ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I am no good at flowers ( nuff said) but the first time I saw trilliums growing was in California and from a distance ( and without my glasses ) they looked as if some loopy caterpillar was dancing on the tops.  Goes without saying I now avoid the mushrooms  :D 

My flower identification is instinctive, usually wrong and based on many weird experiences.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    There’s sometimes a nugget of gold in a weird experience @herbaceous ... so they say 😉 

Thank you @Dovefromabove there is always hope, weird comes along far too often but (despite your kind words) rarely turns into anything other than a good story  :D