Forum home Plants

Verbena bonariensis seedlings question

dmcedmce Ontario CanadaPosts: 10
Verbena b. is very hard to find where I live so I started some primed seeds under grow lights. They germinated quickly - in 5 days - but have remained really tiny and have not put on any growth in the past 3 weeks. They still only have their cotyledon leaves. The other seedlings under the same grow lights (gaura, thunbergia) are doing well and getting bigger.
Is this normal for VB seedlings? Do I just need to be patient or is there something I should do to encourage growth?
Thanks!

• kedisimpsonkedisimpson Oxfordshire Posts: 6
    No idea if it's normal but mine are the same.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,300
    Mine are the same too 😀. I assume they will get going once it warms up a bit ☀️
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Mine have been the same. The seed leaves for ages. Some still have them. I have pricked somemout that seemed to be growing and potted them into bigger pots. A few of grown rapidly but most are still as they were.

I am very suprosed at this as I was led to believe they were a prolific self seeder. We will see I suppose.

It is rather reassuring that I am not alone with very slow growing Verbena B
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    Same here. Glad l read this as l was beginning to wonder if they'd ever reach their full potential. Like me they obviously take a while to get going  B).
  • I sowed verbena seeds a few weeks ago (3?) on a sunny windowsill and while they were slow enough, most now have a pair of true leaves
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,294
    I sowed mine at the end of Feb and they are now in the GH, small but recognisable plants, pricked out into small modules for ease of potting on. They just need a bit of warmth and time. :)
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    I sowed mine a few weeks ago and none have germinated yet so you could be doing worse...
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,586
    I understand that whilst Vb does self-seed, they don't flower until the following year, so they are just slow and steady.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    Mine self seed prolifically and do flower the same year so it probably depends on where you are.
  • dmcedmce Ontario CanadaPosts: 10
    It sounds then as though they are just slow starters so I will be patient and let them do their thing.
    Thank you all for the responses!  :)