Forum home The potting shed

The Vine Weevil hunt 2021

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,580
    I found one this evening. Hopefully this isn't the start of a mass emergence.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 892
    They seem to be fewer here too this year. My rose was actually had a chance to put on good, un nibbled growth, to the point I’m actually getting a second batch of buds…. Definitely a first here. Lilly beatles on the other hand have devistated a couple of my plants. Bear stalks with a few rare buds.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Well I'm in a new house since last year's nightly battle with the little blighters.  I've planted a lot of my pots into my garden now so time will tell if I've brought any with me (I saw no signs in the soil) or if they are a problem here.....

I'll keep my head torch at the ready......
    It's been so nice this year to see my potted plants doing well for once instead of falling apart or dying as soon as the new growth starts. Sedums all look great, saxifrages are all flowering brilliantly, strawberries are all healthy. It feels like the work in getting them under control is really paying off now.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    Nematodes worked really well in our old garden, that was mainly pot planted.
    This year I’m only getting round to it now, as it was too cold for nematodes in April and May, which is when I normally would have used them.
    Hope I’m not too late 🤔
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    I spoke too soon. Just spotted one walking up a decking post. 

I was unprepared but my size eight shoe came in very handy. It was a big un. 

I’m guessing it had been to visit one of my heuchera. 😔
    Six tonight thanks to the unusually mild temperature. Three were on the thyme flowers which I've never seen them go for before.
    A nice evening to be outside though. I could hear a bin being dragged about so waited quietly hoping to see a fox but it was just a fat cat looking for a second dinner.
    It looks like there was a big hatch out tonight. I must have squished about 20 weevils and most had quite soft shells. They were mostly on the lupins so I'll give them a tidy up tomorrow and good shake out over the big white tray tomorrow night. 
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,326
    Found 4 VW last evening on a potted rose and on the sweet peas. Squished them underfoot. I have to resume my VW hunt now. I'm in half a mind whether to resort to nematodes 🥺
    Just one tonight and another that is in jail pending trial. It's very similar to a VW but I'm not sure if it's harmful enough to warrant the death sentence. Now I'm sat outside with a glass of whisky and the only sounds I can hear are baby owls squeaking up in the woods. I should go to bed but silence is not a luxury I get to enjoy much these days...