Forum home Problem solving

Horsetail?

Hello. 

I took on an allotment half plot at the beginning of the year and have just noticed this growing from next door's neglected plot (about 3 feet away from mine). There is asparagus in the bed so I think I previously assumed it was that without looking closely, but looked more closely this evening and I think it's horsetail?

What do you think is best to do?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,341
    Yes those are the fruiting bodies of horsetail. They need to he gathered up, bagged and binned ASAP to prevent them spreading their spores over more of the allotment site. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    Yep, that's it.  Pull them all up now, and any more as and when they appear. 
  • Matt_Matt_ Posts: 44
    Bummer. OK thank you. I'll get rid of as much as I can find. As I say it's not on my plot so I don't want to go digging for it, but I'll let the allotment secretary know and hopefully they can have something done on next door's plot.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    Losing battle, its been around since the dinosaurs, you can never eradicate it you just have to keep pulling it up as soon as you can every year and over time it gets a bit less!
  • LewisiumLewisium Posts: 110
    https://www.progreen.co.uk/weed-control/horsetail-marestail-control/kurtail-evo-mares-tail-weed-killer/

I'm trying this right now, it's been quite well endorsed by a few landscapers I know. 
  • Matt_Matt_ Posts: 44
    OK thanks again, I'll have a read.