Forum home Plants

Sad looking Plant ID

A friend has sent me a picture of this very sad looking plant wondering what it is, she said it has small yellow flowers from what remembers. Can anyone work out what it is? I thought maybe a dusty miller or artemisia? Thanks in advance! 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Photo not clear enough for me I'm afraid
  • I'll see if I can get a clearer picture from her! @K67
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,696
    I'd say whatever it is/was has totally dried out at some point.
    Devon.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,810
    It looks like it might be some type of conifer in a too small a pot that has dried out.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,537
    It looks like it's going to be a post mortem😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,716

floralies...conifers do not get masses of yellow flowers.
    It is covered in unopened flower buds
    Maybe a good soak will revive the poor thing.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    @Silver surfer it does look conifer like. Do you think th OP mistook the yellow fresh growth some conifers get for small flowers?  
    Or are the white things the unopened flowers?

• She found the label! Its genista spachiana.

Have told her to give a really good soak and a light pruning, if it doesn't do anything by summer its likely done for😢
    edited April 2021
    K67 said:
    @Silver surfer it does look conifer like. Do you think th OP mistook the yellow fresh growth some conifers get for small flowers?  
    Or are the white things the unopened flowers?

Zooming in the buds of the flowers showed clearly...all will be it wilted.see pic/
    So I was 100% sure it was not a conifer.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited April 2021
    She found the label! Its genista spachiana.

Have told her to give a really good soak and a light pruning, if it doesn't do anything by summer its likely done for😢
    Excellent. Thanks for getting back to us.
    Not one I have come across.
    Now called Genista stenopetala...common name Sweet broom.
    Ooops!  Probably hit by cold...it comes from the Canary Islands so will hate cold/frost.

Quote wiki....."Under the name Genista × spachiana, it has won the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.[1] It is not a hardy plant, and does not tolerate temperatures below 5 °C (41 °F), so in temperate climates it is usually grown under glass. However, it may be placed outside during the summer months, in a sheltered, sunny spot"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genista_stenopetala

https://www.google.com/search?q=Genista+stenopetala&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXqtPY5ozwAhUL_7sIHTzMDUkQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1280&bih=579
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .