Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost bin location

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,087
    Buttercups seem to rot down ok in my bin...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    edited 25 June
    I think  a bit of ash is ok. Ash is intensely alkaline so you might not want to fill your bin with in or it will tilt your overall ph. My ash tends to often have bits of plastic in it from burnt envelopes, bits of tape and random things, so I don't use it much in the garden.

Ants love my compost bins - even when soggy. If the bins are pretty wet, the ants just make large chambers to ventilate the nests. Bins seem pretty ideal condition for lots of things to nest in - quiet and warm with lots of food to hand. I don't mind them being there at all. I presume lots of ants means lots of ant poo, which is good for the nutrient level. If I want to move some finished compost and the ants are in residence, I take the lid off and poke the nest a bit, then leave it. This gives them time to move the eggs (you can watch them do it) - probably to another compost bin :D
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 696
    We use the ash from our wood burner around the garden. I sprinkle it on the bulbs and then various shrubs and the rest goes on the compost. It’s pure wood ash and we use beeswax lighters, I wouldn’t fancy using it if it was a mix of waste materials and chemical fire lighters
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,254
    I'm not sure if I've found a garden subject which divides opinion so much as composting. Everyone has there own ways and most are happy to claim they are experts (I'm no different as I am clearly absolutely the best composter 🤣🤣).

I go for maximum output from my compost heaps, I beg garden waste from loads of different people including loads of grass clippings. Because of all the material constantly going in the bins are firery hot for about 8 months of the year and very toasty for the other 4.

I don't worry about position of bins as mine aren't reliant on sunshine for heat. I do turn my bins constantly which is needed to prevent the heaps going into a sludgey mess and keep my really hot.

I freely admit to being rather potty about my compost (I mean is it normal to talk to compost heaps) and it's a standing joke in the family. It's all for the garden in the end 🙂
    I'm no expert but I do think people worry about it too much and that puts them off.
    @Fire I hope i don't do the putting off, I'd encourage anyone to do it. There's no doubt that you should just do what suits you best. I've ignored all the rules since day 1 but it works for me due to the sheer quantity of material that goes in, I'm sure in years to come I'd never be able to physically manage such a high input of effort. Don't panic and carry on composting

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,056
    Yeah, Keep calm and carry on composting. O think too much advice, especially conflicting put beginners off. It all helps. We inherited 2 council ones, neighbour have us a 3rd. Halfway down the garden, now moved to the very bottom veg plot. Hubby cut a door out of the bottom,edged them with wood,so they lift up to remove compost.2of us,o cook from scratch,they are all full,wet and dry material, shredder,and full council bin every 2 weeks. I don't put any perennial weeds in them,they are on slabs in the shade, plenty of worms,no smell
    @Fire I love that, I need to get 1 of the antique metal signs with that painted on it 😜. In fact Mrs Wilderbeast wants to know what to get me for Christmas 
    Bruce is the man. I love the RED gardens education project videos. He talks about approached to aeration, turning etc. 
    Community composting is a really interesting idea - trying to find ways to run them with limited rules, work and faff.
    Check out his various videos for this experiments.