Forum home Plants

Changing bulbs to summer flowers in pots - advice please

DiggingDigging Posts: 7
Hi all,
I’ve got a small yard at the front of my cottage that I’ve filled with pots of spring bulbs (tulips, daffs, crocus, hyacinths) and they look amazing, but I’ve sown loads of summer plant seeds in my greenhouse that I want to put out the front when they’ve done. There is no soil at the front, it’s solid rock underneath. 
I’m lucky to have a large, winding, very overgrown and higgledepiggledy garden at the back but I’m not ready to dig over any borders (far too many large roots and weeds at the moment) as it’s taking an age and I haven’t really got anywhere to put the seedlings when they’ve grown. 
I really want to put a load of the new plants  out the front but have used my pots for bulbs and it’s all solid rock so I can’t plant in it. 
How do I swap them over? I have a good few weeks yet, but am worrying I’ll waste the seedlings 🤦🏼‍♀️
Can I take the bulbs out and put them in temporary buckets until the foliage dies back then I can store them? 
I’m not the most patient! 😆

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,017
    It's got to be worth a try. I would suggest that if you can, try and separate the bulbs out as best you can, so that they get a bit of air around them to help them dry out a bit. Any that feel a bit soft and squishy, l would dispose of. 
  • DiggingDigging Posts: 7
    Thank you!
     I generally wing it, and it’s worked so far but I’m trying to get more organised and better now I know I’ve got the space to make amazing so will Hoover up all advice I can. Just wish I didn’t work 40+ hours a week! 😂
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    I tip the whole pot of bulbs out, intact and put them in an old compost bag or similar, they need to die down gradually so the goodness from the leaves goes back into the bulbs for next year. 
    You need to make holes around the sides of the bag about an inch or two above the base.  You can then store them in any old corner of your garden until they’ve died right down then tip them out and keep for next September. Ready to plant again after you annuals have died. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.