Forum home Plants

Clematis for a north garage wall

Any advice on the best variety of clematis or other climber to put in a large pot against a garage wall. Think it's north facing. I have an olive in a similar location which is doing a amazingly so that gives an idea of the aspect

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,556
    Hagley Hybrid.
    I had a north facing covered porch and grew it up one of the support poles.
    I doubted it would survive, but it grew really well and flowered for months.
    In high summer it would catch the sun for a couple of hours just after sunrise, otherwise it was in constant shade.

I'm very surprised that your olive tree likes such a position - they need the warmth of the sun
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks. Maybe I've got the aspect wrong and the garage is south facing!
    If so any other suggestions?
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,120
    There are quite a few clematis that will grow in shade. I grew one called Comtesse de Bouchard in a large pot, its is a lovely shade of pink. 

These websites will give you plenty of choices.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,556
    Does the garage wall get plenty of sun, or is it in the shade most of the day?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,512
    Clematis armandii
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,618
    Where is the sun at midday?   Shining on the garage wall or somewhere opposite the side?  North and south are very different in terms of light and warmth and will make a huge difference to what will be happy.

I would certainly not try a clematis in a pot on a south or west facing wall as the roots will get too hot and you'll need to water twice a day.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw