Forum home Plants

Long Flowering Plants

edited April 2021 in Plants
Don't know if these questions have been answered 100,000 times! Please forgive me, I'm new to this forum!

I'm planting up new flower beds after several years of neglect, I have clay soil that's got a lot of clumps and stones. I'm wondering if there are any plants that have quite a long flowering season? We've got some more annuals and perennials to come back each year and I want to put some more seasonal plants but would like some that has a long flower life. 

We have a decent size garden with quite a lot of borders for flowers that see sun pretty much all of the day and gets quite warm. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so much!

• Mrs_GrohlMrs_Grohl LondonPosts: 13
    Salvias! I have London clay with stones and in my 'sunny border' only gets morning sun I've got salvia amistad and a bright pink one. They start about may and go to October at least. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Leucanthermum, did well for me, big white daisy type flowers. Keep dead heading cutting out the whole stem. I had a second flush still flowering until the frosts in November or was it December?
    Geranium Rozanne, but slow to start but still flowering November, no dead heading required.
    With most flowers if you dead head they will keep on flowering.
    Anthemis is another daisy type that keeps on. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Dahlias can flower from June to the frosts. Hardy geranium such as Rozanne. Bushy salvias like Royal Bumble. Cosmos. Linaria. There are some perennial, long flowering foxgloves in the 'Illumination' series. Plants like petunias, begonias, diascias, lobelia, verbenas, bacopa are smaller and can flower all summer long. Borage has a good long season on it, too.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872
    Some shrubs have a long flowering period - I'd recommend Potentilla fruticosa 'Abbotswood', which has white flowers all summer.  Mine already has a few flowers.  And modern roses, such as those bred by David Austin, are very long flowering and scented, too.  A few carefully-chosen shrubs might give more structure to your beds... you could choose something with evergreen leaves or coloured stems for extra interest as well.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Daphne 'Eternal Fragrance' flowers for most of the year and has a great scent.
  • Persicaria amplexicaule, Anemone x hybrida, fuchsias are all good for the second half of the summer. I grow these in clay soil.
  • Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 135
    Geranium Mavis Simpson, Pink Flowers all Summer For me!
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    I just got some salvia ‘Rose Marvel’ — it’s supposed to flower from May to October. There’s also a ‘Blue Marvel’ if you want a different colour

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-plants/salvia-plants/salvia-rose-marvel-3_200258

https://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/resource-library/plant-week/Salvia%20-nemorosa-Rose-Marvel-Sage-05-11-2018%20.aspx

Geraniums also have a long flowering season: https://www.crocus.co.uk/search/_/search.hardy-geraniums/vid.104/vid.9/

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited April 2021
    I put in a succession of iris reticulata this year and they have flowered continuously (as a mass planting) straight through from January to May (looks like).

My Hellebore Anna's Red and holly-leaved hellebores have also gone through much the same period. Both offer pollen through winter. Both are still going strong - almost in stasis.

Not sure if these have all gone on so long this year because the night temps haven't risen much through March and April.
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 670
    Penstemon, viola, erysimum Bowle's Mauve, primroses, viburnum tinus and red valerian have fairly long flowering periods here.