Forum home Plants

Choisya sundance - permanently pruned to small size?

Hi everyone,

Is it relatively easy to keep a choisya sundance to around 50cm depth? Can it be pruned once a year to this effect?

I have a tricky rectangular border - it’s relatively wide/deep and long but the seating area means it’s viewed mainly from its width/depth angle not it’s full length. 

I’m happy for the choisya sundance to grow in height to 1m but if it grows too wide it will block the view of other shrubs. 

I’m keen on this shrub because it’s evergreen and yellow. I’m essentially after a narrow shrub which is evergreen to add interest to the back of the border.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Once Choisya Ternata 'Sundance' establish, they can grow pretty fast, and in some instances need pruning twice a year if you live in a warm area. Personally, I don't think it is the right plant for what you want.

There is another Choisya that is a bit more smaller, but the foliage is more narrow and the leaves are green. Choisya x Dewitteana 'White Dazzler' could be another option.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,535
    If you keep pruning it back to the size you prefer, you might lose the flowers.
  • Ok thanks both - I’ll search for something more appropriate....

if anyone can recommend an evergreen shrub that grows in height but not width, please do! :)

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited April 2021
    For evergreen shrubs, it depends on your soil type and also whether it is in full sun or partial shade. I can't think of any evergreen shrubs with lime/yellow coloured leaves at the moment.

For shady areas, take a look at Sarcococca Hookeriana and Ruscifolia. Both are quite slow growing so quite manageable for the heights/width you suggest. Fragrant winter flowers which is a bonus. 

For a sunny space, Abelia x Grandiflora may also be a good choice. Quite long flowering period in summer. Easily pruned back from an arching habit. Flowers may be removed if heavily pruned. So always a good idea to prune straight after flowering to avoid that.
  • delskidelski Posts: 274
    I have the choisya you mention and it grows very slowly. Been in the ground a couple of years now and I bought a £7.99 plant. Maybe it doesn't like my dry clay soil. Smaller than 50cm in all directions.
  • @delski oh interesting... I have clay soil too! 

@Borderline thank you for the recommendations. Abelia xgrandiflora looks beautiful ... I also came across another plant in the same group, Albeia Kaleidoscope, which is stunning!