Forum home Plants

Seedling/ unidentified plant ids please

Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 666
These 3 just appeared ( or atleast I just saw them ) in the beds edging my back courtyard. I would really appreciate it if anyone was able to help identify.

1) Growing among the wild violets under the trachycarpus fortunei is a strap leaved plant ( looks a bit lily-ish , much broader leaves than the liriope muscari i have maybe a meter away -- any ideas ?
2) Seedling with 2 beautiful true leaves ( and smaller versions of them as what i assume are seed leaves below them ) -- this is growing basically just by the camellia so am hoping is a camellia seedling ( no clue if this is likely , I only have one camellia plant, don't know if they are self fertile and I've never seen any seedpods on it, but then i don't really spend much time looking at it in autumn)
3) i thought this might be an ash seedling so have uprooted it as best i can ( seemed to be growing from underneath a patio slab and i recall someone on this forum saying ash seems to root in the weirdest/hardest places)

Kindness is always the right choice.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I agree that photo 3 is an Ash seedling. Second photo may need to see more growth to know what it may be. No idea with photo 1.
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 666
    Thank you ( again) @Borderline
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220
    Yes, 3 is Ash.
    2 looks like some sort of tree seedling but no idea which
    1 looks so familiar .................. 🤯
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you @Dovefromabove :) oh well perhaps was too much to hope for a baby camellia ! I'll leave the leafy thing be for now and see what happens, it's not going to cause any damage where it is unless it starts self seeding willy-nilly 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    Not sure about picture 2 but the rest are weeds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thank you @Lyn -- do you happen to know what the strappy leaved weed is?