Forum home Plants

Planting Campanula/Aquilegia in clay pots

ElferElfer Posts: 329
edited April 2021 in Plants
Hello everyone from a newbie gardener and forum member. I am in the the process of giving my garden a makeover and have purchased a few plants. Unfortunately a bad case of sciatica and delay in shipping of some plants has thrown my timing in disarray and won't be able to plant everything for another 2 weeks as soil prep is not ready. I have 8 Aquilegia spring magic and 13 Campanula Acaulis & Alba variety in 10 cm pots that are here already and wondering if I should re pot them in planters rather than risk keeping them in their nursery pots and plant in two weeks. Would appreciate some advice.

• ElferElfer Posts: 329
    edited April 2021
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,668
    Welcome to the forum, hope your sciatica eases soon  :)
    Can you see roots coming through the bottom of the pots yet ? If you can manage to tip them out, have a look at the root systems. If they are not particularly root bound l think they would be fine for 2 weeks. 
    Yes, unfortunately roots are coming through, some more so that the others.

edited April 2021
    Bit of a tricky one.  I'd say you have 2 options (based on what l would do).
    If you're absolutely sure that it's only going to be for 2 weeks, l wouldn't worry too much about the ones that are only just poking through, just make sure that they don't dry out. If they're in peat free compost it can be tricky to " re wet " sometimes. 
    The others, l would suggest you either get them out and cut through the bottom of the rootball by around an inch or so, then repot with some fresh compost. This will stimulate more root growth and you can then plant out in a fortnight (just be careful when you remove them from the pots, try not to damage any new roots). 
    The other thing is to pot them on into pots one size up, and then wait until you see fresh roots appearing through the bottom before planting out. This may be more than a fortnight, but shouldn't take too long at this time of year. 
    As l say, this is what l would do, others may give you different advice :)
    Whatever you decide, l hope you enjoy your garden once you're able to get moving freely again !
    My option B was to plant (a few at a time) in a large terracotta pot or a rectangular planter and use either on patio or dotted around the garden to add some colour for this season and then plant them in autumn or spring next year. If this is a viable option then what should be the spacing between each plant so that I can replant in garden at the end of season without damaging the roots?
    Yes, that's certainly an option. I would plant them around 4 inches apart, if you can picture being able to insert a trowel between them when you come to remove them that should be fine. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks Anni 🙏