Forum home Plants

What is this and should I dig it up?

didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,586
I planted a lavatera Barnsley, bought at the local GC, last autumn and noticed afterwards there was another plant growing alongside it. I didn't worry too much as lavatera is so vigorous.  But the other plant is very vigorous and I'm wondering if I should dig it all up, replant the lavatera and either get rid of or replant whatever this plant is.  I thought at first it might be a geranium but then I worried it might be greater celandine. It doesn't have orange sap, so it's not that.  Any help and advice welcome.

• RuthmshawRuthmshaw EssexPosts: 41
    Buttercup? If you give the soil a good watering you should be able to pull it out without having to dig everything up.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070
    It looks like creeping buttercup to me but wait for confirmation😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,586
    Thanks but does creeping buttercup have orange sap?  This doesn't.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070
    Mine hasn't.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,327
    You'll know pretty soon, they don't take long to start creeping
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,586
    Oh dear - I think it is that!  Right - out with the spade tomorrow to dig out both the creeping buttercup and the lavatera and replant the lavatera.  Luckily it is still dormant.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,568
    Just water it well and then pull up the buttercup.   No need to dig up and disturb the lavatera.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,327
    They are very shallow rooted, as Obs says, water well, get your thumb right in under and pull it out. You don't need to dig up the shrub
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”