Forum home The potting shed

Compost from grass and printer paper?

As I've been working from home for quite a while, I'm generating quite a lot of shredded printer paper.  Whilst also having a fair size lawn, it occurred to me that, as the paper is "brown" material and and the grass is "green", it might be possible to make worthwhile garden compost from just these two materials.  Has anyone tried this, or know whether it is possible?
Also, if it is - what proportions should I use, as I would think a bucket of grass clippings is considerably more packed than one of printer paper?
Many thanks,
Peter

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    I'd have thought about 50-50 to start with by volume.  Early grass cuttings tend to be very wet, juicy and claggy so you need to shake them out of the container to aerate them and then layer them thinly with the paper.  Later on the grass will be a bit direr so more grass, less paper.   You can add an accelerator to help or just pee on it to get it started.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,106
    Worth a try, but you'd need to be careful to mix it well and keep the right levels of air and moisture in it. Here are a couple of links that might be useful.

• Thanks Both, and especially for the quick response!
    I'll give it a bash over the weekend.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,077
    I think you'd need to put in much more paper than you'd think. The 'browns' in my compost system is mostly from household paper and cardboard and it works pretty well but you do need a lot, because it reduces to nothing. But give it some time and you will see if the mix is too wet (too much grass) or too dry (too much paper). Sawdust, wood chips, cut up dry leaves also work well as browns.