Forum home The potting shed

Green House Base Advice Please

Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 60
Hey Folks.

I'm looking to buy our first green house (specifically a 6ft x 10ft Rhino Premium). We'll not be planting into the ground and will use pots. I've been trying to decide the best base for this. There seem to be pros and cons for all options, so I wondered if anyone has any advice/recommendations?

Current options:
Concrete slab: Solid, but poor drainage.
Full slab on concrete: Solid, I assume drainage would not be great, lots of slabs needed.
Full slab on sharp sand: As above but better drainage?
Slab perimeter with gravel: Less slabs needed, good drainage. Condensation could cause damp?
Build straight onto ground: Rhino say this is an option as it's anchored down in postcrete. Easiest and cheapest option. As above, could get damp?

I've read that slabs are good for retaining heat once the sun goes down. I've also read that having an open base (gravel, etc) is better for drainage but can cause condensation/damp.

Please enlighten me with your guidance based on your experiences :wink:
Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,496
    I had a big area paved for my Rhino Premium and the paving was laid giving a 4° slope from back to front.
    Not noticeable, but the rain just runs away - no puddling anywhere
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,201
    I had no choice with mine, it replaced an older one on a concrete base. It's  been fine.
  • Captain_ChaosCaptain_Chaos Leicestershire, UKPosts: 60
    Ordered the GH today so I have a couple of months to decide and sort it.  I'd prefer not to go down the full concrete slab route, so I'm considering a perimeter of slabs on concrete now. Slab path and gravel sides.  Thanks for the comments :)
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.