Forum home Plants

Jasmine brown after snow won’t stop spreading

dilbydilby Posts: 66
Hi all - my Jasmine has started going brown and I’m not sure how to handle it. I’m based in Wales and recently we had a week of light sleet & snow which is what I am assuming has caused it. Would that make sense? I’ve already cut off the brown but it’s continuing to spread, so don’t know how to save it!

thanks 

• GravelEaterGravelEater The East of EnglandPosts: 111
    I don't know if what I say will be any help, but we've got some red leaves after the winter on our unsheltered star jasmines, and we just fed them with liquid azalea/rhodo. feed once a week-ish, on the soil not the leaves.  The red leaves have nearly all gone for us.  Though I'm talking red leaves not brown.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    I would be inclined to leave it as is. Probably the brown keaves will drop off and new ones will grow.
    I wouldn't feed it yet until it's sorted itself out.
    I always equate a poorly plant with a poorly person as the last thing you want is food, might not be right but nature is very good at repairing itself.
    It's been very dry this spring, possibly even in Wales so it might be getting short on water so a good can or 2 poured on slowly once a week.
  • It’s just frostbite I think. The developing new leaves will soon conceal these. For the avoidance of confusion, this is a real Jasminum, which are unrelated to Trachelospermum, the star jasmine.
  • TenNTenN Posts: 122
    Mine goes brown every year and every year I worry it's dead, then when I go to cut it back I spot buds and think 'I must remember this for next year' but I never do. Like most things in the garden, leave it and see what happens.
  • dilbydilby Posts: 66
    Thanks all! I’ll leave it and hopefully it will start to turn a corner 🤗