Forum home Plants

Is this a delphinium?

It is growing in the rough area where I had delphiniums last year (briefly before the slugs got to them and complete destroyed it) but looks different to another delphinium that is growing elsewhere in the garden. Don’t want to spend time protecting it if it’s a weed!

sorry about the upside down image (I read doing landscape pics avoided the issue of the photo being the wrong way round!)

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    I'm wondering if it could be a hardy geranium? Does that ring any bells? Hopefully one of the experts will be able to confirm one way of the other!
  • I've only been living here a couple of years but the previous owners did love geraniums; I don't recall a geranium there last year though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    I can see no slug or snail tooth marks or slime trails  ...   therefore it cannot be a delphinium Q.E.D.
     ;) 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    It might well be a delphinium though - you'll soon know if it sends up a spike, which will be anytime now.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Looks very similar to my hardy himalayan geraniums.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Here's a delphinium just taken in the GH, for comparison.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166
    I think it may be geranium Rozanne - I planted a couple last year and two similar have come up- I also planted delphiniums but they mainly got munched

• I have the first delphinium flowers 🌸 
    Surrey
  • selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166

This is mine - I think it is the geranium rozanne
  • Wowsers @Big Blue Sky do you live somewhere warm?
    I think I've found the secret to Delphinium slug protection. My one started to grow and then vanished. I discovered some of these collar things for your plants which have copper in - I put one on my munched Delphinium and it now has a collection of leaves again 😁