Forum home Plants

Replacing lavender

EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
I have a well drained west-facing bed, quite exposed. It is currently edged with some sorry-looking lavender, which hates the wet weather. It is growing happily in a south-facing bed elsewhere, but I’m going to have to give up on it here. It has sedum and penstemon behind it, kindly suggested by @Malorena 2 or 3 years ago. These are doing well.  I don’t want box. Any ideas for another neat front edging? It will need to be kept quite small. I did want evergreen so that the border looks less unkempt in the winter - it’s right in front of the approach to the front door, so you can’t ignore it. But I’m open to non-evergreen ideas as well.
Carmarthenshire 
If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Just posted this elsewhere that you can get hebe in small sizes I have Baby Marie which is supposed to grow to 40cm x 40cm but there are others that stay neat.
    https://www.gardenbeauty.co.uk/hebe
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Hebes are a good idea. The other possibility is Pittosporum (eg golf ball) which can be trimmed neatly. Or what about Huecheras? Loads of different colours, so you could choose something that matches your planting scheme.
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    Was interested in heuchera @Pianoplayer until I realised it needs alkaline soil, pity. We’ve got neutral-acid, I suspect that the pittosporum might resent being cut back as hard as I would need to. I’ve got 30cm height and spread to play with really. I hadn’t realised that you could get tiny hebes @K67, so that’s a strong contender. 
    Carmarthenshire 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Heucheras don't need alkaline soil, I think they prefer very slightly acidic soil, like most plants. I grow them in acidic soil (pH close to 6 or just under) without any problems.
    Yes heucheras fine in most soil but magnets for vine weevils.
    I made the mistake of believing a seller’s website about alkaline soil. That’s good news then @edhelka. I’m fancying heuchera BlackBerry jam I think, or maybe Prince. 

I’ve never laid eyes on a vine weevil, so that will be a new experience! We are a bit out on our own, nearest house is 200 metres away, so maybe we won’t get them. I love a new plant species to play with 😁.
    Carmarthenshire 
    I love Heucheras (now spelled correctly!) and so far (famous last words) have not had any problems with vine weevils. This is an amazing site:
    https://www.heucheraholics.co.uk

Good luck!
    So it is, @Pianoplayer. I’m now thinking that I want apple crisp or sugar berry. I think you might have created a monster 😆
    Carmarthenshire 
    Sorry!   :)
    Don't think I had any till I bought a few pots of Heuchera i think they hitched a ride in the pot.
    Vine weevil in themselves aren't the problem it's the larvae that eat the roots.