Forum home Plants

Is this what the pot says?

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 724
I bought a couple of these last week for my window boxes, but when I look on google using the names on the pot completely different plants show up!

Specifically interested in how large they will grow and if they will have any flowers or just pretty foliage.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,867
    Don’t think so Jacqui,  isn’t it Edelweiss? That looks like a hanging basket  plant bought for its greenery. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    I think that Gnaphalium  is a bit like a helichrysum with daisy-type flowers ... used in hanging baskets etc.  Common name 'Cud weed'.  

This may give us some clues  https://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/g/gnapha21.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 724
    Dove that’s what I came up with too, does not look similar at all. Lyn I’ll o look up edelweiss and see what I get. Either way it is destined for window boxes as greenery, I’m just trying to be better informed generally as to what it’s likes, dislikes and habits are. Don’t want it dying because I do something stupid😱
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,064
    edited April 2021
    That's what I know as Helichrysum petiolare  ("limelight" is a similar cultivar that's widely available in the UK). Wikipedia thinks Gnaphalium petiolatum is a synonym https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helichrysum_petiolare. Edelweiss is Leontopodium nivale but the RHS says Gnaphalium leontopodium is a synonym. Both are part of the aster family which has had a lot of renaming going on in recent years so I don't know what's current.
    My french isn't up to much but I think the small print on the label says it's for hanging baskets, even though it doesn't give the second part of the Latin name. Perhaps that's what it's commonly known as in France.
    Edit: to answer your original questions, I've never noticed flowers on them so if it has them I think they're insignificant, and they can grow pretty long trailing shoots and fill out a small-ish basket over the course of a summer. It's not hardy (here anyway) but you can take cuttings to overwinter if you want it again next summer.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    That’s the one I was racking my poor little brain for @JennyJ 👍 
    Ive seen it at the GC in the hanging basket section. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 724
    Thanks. Yes the French text does indeed indicate for hanging displays. I’m probably going to see if a few cuttings will strike as one of the plants is already quite big and I thought it was worth a try to see if I could get a few “freebies “ in time for this summer as I assume it has a fairly quick growth rate.