Forum home Garden design

Filling in gaps and bringing together?

Hi, newbie here. 
Photo shows the gap I want to fill-in  (next to the Chocolate Vine) but I'm clueless when it comes to combinations/design. What could I put in? I put in a Salvia next to the Kolomikta last year which I like - but again looks odd! Next to the Bride I've put in a Lavender (maybe can't see it from the photo). Top photo shows the gap I want to fill in, other photos the other 2 sides of the garden. So how to fill in gaps and make it all hang together?! Thx so much x

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281
    edited April 2021
    Having such narrow borders means you are forced to put one plant next to another.
    There is no room for overlap, one nearer the front complementing one further back, no room to have repeating clumps of smaller perennials,  or a patch of blending or contrasting colours. These are the things that help to make it hang together.
    The only way to do it would be to restrict your selection of plants and repeat them at intervals. That way it would all hang together, but would be relatively boring and no fun for someone who falls in love with different plants!
    The other way of course would be to lose some lawn...
  • hj.reidhj.reid Posts: 4
    Ah I see, thanks so much, very helpful Buttercupdays