Forum home Plants

Help - Calathea Zebrina new leaves curling and brown- what could be wrong with it?

rsardanarsardana Posts: 9
edited April 2021 in Plants
This plant took a hit last summer (it was relatively big with plenty of leaves) because it didn't like the portable fan in the room. I moved it into a well light, warm room and it took all of winter to recover but has come back. So i am now using the globe to ensure consistent watering. However, all new leaves are curling and brown so I've moved it again last week to a different room with no draft as I thought maybe the small trickle vent window opening whilst being relatively close to a radiator might be causing the curling in the previous room. These images are from its new room.

It's well lit , indirect sunlight and I've placed the white pot it's in, in a tray with water for humidity. There is one new all green leaf and it looks like it might turn brown, the tip had a brown spot (not able to see in images) so I've started misting the leaves.

Any tips? Why is it doing this and how do I stop it?

thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,665
    Calathea in general are fussy about conditions. If you now have the temperature, light, watering and humidity right for it https://www.houseplantsexpert.com/calathea-zebrina.html , perhaps leave it in its new position for a while and see what happens with the new leaves that grow from now on. Leaves that have already started to go brown won't turn back to all green, but if it's happy the new leaves that it produces should be OK.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Look in any book or on a web site for houseplants and they say under or over watering which isn't much help.
    If it's been sitting in a tray of water maybe overwatering unless you had gravel in the tray so the pot wasn't sitting in water.
    Remove the plant from its pot and check what the roots are like and how wet the soil is.  
  • rsardanarsardana Posts: 9
    JennyJ said:
    Calathea in general are fussy about conditions. If you now have the temperature, light, watering and humidity right for it https://www.houseplantsexpert.com/calathea-zebrina.html , perhaps leave it in its new position for a while and see what happens with the new leaves that grow from now on. Leaves that have already started to go brown won't turn back to all green, but if it's happy the new leaves that it produces should be OK.
    I have another calathea (Rattlesnake) and it's less fussy. Didn't mind the fan brreze lol. There are two of these fussy type in the house and both are high maintenance compared to any other plant I've had! Let's see if the new location suits it. 
    K67 said:
    Look in any book or on a web site for houseplants and they say under or over watering which isn't much help.
    If it's been sitting in a tray of water maybe overwatering unless you had gravel in the tray so the pot wasn't sitting in water.
    Remove the plant from its pot and check what the roots are like and how wet the soil is.  
    agree - that one line isn't helpful on water. checked the Roots- I can see white and brown which I think is mud and it dodnt feel wet..plus the plant is growing so should be ok I think. Plus the plant directly has not been in the water in the tray - it's the ceramic pot that is in the tray as per the images. Water levels are /should be consistent now I feel because of the globe so will wait and watch it. Thanks 
    K67 said:
    Hello again, the leaf has turned as it were :(. Here are the pics of the root. Do they look ok ? Any tips appreciated