Forum home Plants

David Austin roses

Hilary_15Hilary_15 Posts: 73
Has anybody any idea why so many of David Austin roses are unavailable?

• PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    I think it is `between seasons` ie the bare roots will be sold out, and the potted versions not ready yet.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Probably lots of reasons.
    Discontinued 
    Sold out
    Bare root season finished and behind on potting up to sell as container plants.
    There was a list of other rose suppliers the other day.
    I can offer Trevor White and Style Roses.
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 685
    edited April 2021
    The high demand for roses (and hydrangeas) last year, noted by the RHS, may be a contributing factor, although of course it’s difficult to determine if there is a real/unusual shortage from just the consumer side, and different suppliers may be experiencing — or not experiencing — shortfalls to different extents.

From the RHS article linked below: “...big blooms, long stalwarts of the garden, remain an important draw for UK gardeners as people continue to seek out the familiar during these less than familiar times.”

https://www.rhs.org.uk/press/releases/2021-set-to-see-comfort-planting

• celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 743
    I read from a recent statement on David Austin’s website that the pandemic has had a huge role to play as well as they have not been able to produce new plants on a pre-Covid scale.. they’ve even had to cease some of their supplier contracts as a result - my local garden centre for example has no DA roses for sale this year. 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    The industry has been hit hard, for sure. With Brexit, the winter weather and Covid.
  • Hilary_15Hilary_15 Posts: 73
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  I guess I'll have to try another supplier.