Forum home Plants

Any idea what plant this is??

Lisarc26Lisarc26 Posts: 17
Hi everyone. I thought I'd try here for some input from more experienced gardeners! This random plant turned up in my garden about 3 years ago. I don't recall planting anything like this over recent years and think it may have been a deposit/gift from a passing bird... (if you get my meaning... hahaha...). But I've been trying to find out exactly what plant this is! I first thought from my research that it might be a tropical Rex plant... But my research led me to believe Rex plants are evergreen... But this one dies back in winter! It is just starting to shoot new leaves and will eventually have quite large star shaped leaves. Any ideas anyone?? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,868
    I don't have one, but I'd take a guess at a tree peony
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Lisarc26Lisarc26 Posts: 17
    Thanks Pete. It doesn't bare any flowers. It's only has long stems with large green leaves when it's in bloom. Thank you though! I appreciate the reply.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I agree, Tree peony.  They can take a few years before they start producing flower buds, but it's worth the wait - one of mine from 2019:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks Bob. But your plant doesn't look like mine when it's in full bloom. Mine has very long stems and quite large leaves like this plant attached 
    Do you still think it might be a tree peony? This year will be the 3rd year it's returned and last year it grew to about 5ft in height. Which was about 2ft taller than the previous year!
    The pic you posted of a Tetrapanax Rex has enormous leaves.
    Do the leaves on your get really huge?
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    edited April 2021
    Your shrub is definitely a tree Paeonia.
    Be patient it will flower.

It is definitely not Tetrapanex papyrifera Rex.
    This shrub has huge leaves...like a palm of a hand....see link
    Completely different from your dainty Peony leaves.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Tetrapanax+papyrifer+'Rex'+leaf&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOzN6im4DwAhWMUMAKHbFMC_sQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1280&bih=579#imgrc=XUvW57LC81_LMM

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Hi Pete. I'd say the leaves are slightly smaller. But only slightly... they are still quite big the leaves - same shape as this Rex image. And they have the same long stems as the Rex.  Perhaps I'll wait until they have fully bloomed again in a couple of months and send another pic in this chat!?
    My money is still on a tree peony :)
    Please do post a pic when the leaves are fully out and we'll be able to confirm for you.

Either way, they are both very beautiful shrubs
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .