Forum home Plants

First and second year tulips of the same variety (a comparison)

Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 678
edited April 2021 in Plants
Last year I saved some tulips as I wanted to experiment if it is worthwhile to keep the old bulbs for the next season.
Here are pictures of new bulbs flowers and the one that I grew from the last year bulbs. The same variety, even the same supplier. Took good care of the last year bulbs (kept them fed and watered until the foliage was gone, then kept the bulbs dry and dark before planting them at the same time like the new ones).

Surrey

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    There are different types of tulips, some better refliwering than others. Fosteriana tulips are very reliable. If not in pots I leave them in the ground and they have always returned.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,557
    @K67, that's good to know. I like tulips but never planted in garden thinking they don't flower well next year. Will look forFosteriana ones.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,541
    I've had some almost neon Pink Parrot tulips planted in the ground for 3-4 years now, much to my surprise, and they are now multiplying and looking good. The black Parrot tulips, (really dark purple) bought and planted in the same bed at the same time, didn't survive at all.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    Can't tell you what variety tulips ours are but it's the 4th spring now and they are coming happily again. 1 bed gets very wet in winter and nearly all have vanished in the there. We have colours ranging from the dark almost black, burnt orange, orange, red, yellow and different shades of pink. Been pleasantly surprised as after planting upwards of 700 bulbs the in-laws said they wouldn't come back
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Thought I would compare my Fosterinia tulips 
    Last year.

This year