Forum home Plants

Crocus ID anyone?

AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
edited April 2021 in Plants
The flowers have been gone for more than a month now, but thought I'd ask here as it's bugging me.

I bought some GC bulbs labeled Crocus minimus 'Spring Beauty' last autumn. I planted them all together with no other bulbs, and looking at what came up in February (photo below) they don't look anything like the ones in photos online.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    They are lovely, but definitely not Spring Beauty if they haven't got the dark flash on the back of the petals.
    As for what they are, it's impossible to say from just a photo, as there are many similar varieties with slight colour differences, that may also vary in size and flowering time.
    I grow C tommasinianus and a slightly darker one called Whitewelll purple.  They look not too unlike in colour but are small and very early flowering and less heavily veined than yours. They also seed themselves readily all over the grass. :)
    You'll have to see what yours do, but if you want Spring Beauty next year, get it from a reputable supplier!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    edited April 2021

https://www.vanengelen.com/crocus-etruscus-zwanenburg.html

Crocus etruscus Zwanenburg.....the delicate markings look to match this.

Not straight stripes as many common Crocus...more feather like.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    Thanks both!

@Silver surfer, that does look very similar with the striations but I doubt mine is going to be ‘highly awarded’, it somehow doesn’t look as elegant!

@Buttercupdays, I bought all my other bulbs (250 of them) from Sarah Raven and they were all true — they’re in another part of the garden. The rogue ones were early flowering, and I did wonder if they were a kind of mutant Tommy. I’ll be on the lookout for seedlings...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,278
    That is such a pretty one @Silver surfer ... it’s gone on my ‘I need to get’ list ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Athelas said:
    I bought all my other bulbs (250 of them) from Sarah Raven
    Might I suggest an e mail to Sarah Raven  to ask...these are beautiful.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,134
    edited April 2021
    Crocus 'Conqueror' is very similar, and more common..

https://www.bostonbulbswholesale.co.uk/prod/conqueror-specie-crocus-bulbs/1056

..only, it flowers in the Autumn.. lol.. 
    Marlorena said:
    Crocus 'Conqueror' is very similar, and more common..

..only, it flowers in the Autumn.. lol.. 
    Hmm! Just a slight problem which you spotted!
    Crocus speciosus 'Conqueror' autumn crocus bulbs: Flowering period: late September to late October.

The stripes are also completely straight and vertical.
    Mystery Crocus meet in center of each petal...feather like.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited April 2021
    Single flower enlarged.
    Lost quality and colour...but it shows  beautiful,dainty feathering.
    Rather than vertical stripes from base to tip.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    @Marlorena, I found Conqueror too when searching for images online.

@Silver surfer, I’m glad you find it beautiful. The photo is straight from my iPhone and the markings are that distinct (no contrast/exposure/colour adjustments). I've cropped the original photo if it helps, and also I took one of the bud with a proper camera.

I might ask SR or maybe a dedicated crocus supplier, though they may not appreciate a question about flowers not bought from them.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,134
    @Silver surfer
    ...looks very much like the one you said, doesn't it?..

I see it's sold by R.V. Roger.. so not that uncommon..

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?linksource=stockitem&listgroupfile=bulbs&parentpagefile=autumnbulbs&season=BAUT&webfilename=crocus_etruscus_zwanenburg