Forum home Plants

Fern out of container. Now what? I'm not panicking - really.

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,023

Do I  nibble round the sides or  slice it in two? 
Should I trim the roots at the bottom?
I have MPC and JI. Which shall I use?
I also have my own clayey  compost  
Dropping it back in container to await instructions. 
In London. Keen but lazy.

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,048
    Did you watch GW on Saturday / Sunday? 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,023
    No. Did The Monty do the job?😊
    Thanks @LG_. Just scrolled through and watched it .
    I haven't got 2 forks so I'll have to improvise. A job for tomorrow.
    Thanks again
    edited April 2021
    I had actually assumed you must have watched it and been inspired!
    I reckon you'll need to do some sawing / cutting, given that his was tough and hadn't been squeezed together by a container.
    - Cicero
    I went round the edge with a pruning saw to get it out.
    Now that I know to loosen the roots, I 'll be able to see what's what and saw a chunk off.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    I've just done my ferns, and had to resort to a pruning saw for the roots.  Don't be afraid to be brutal @B3  As long as you get a bit of crown, connected to some roots, you should be fine.  I reckon you could get more than 2 plants out of the above plant, it looks to be a decent size.

I never used MPC on it's own for anything anymore.  I always put a bit of soil in with it, and for ferns (or anything moisture loving), I use about 50/50 soil to MPC.  I also add a few fertiliser granules in the mix too, the ferns appreciate it.

I have an Asplenium scolopendrium which I should have divided before, as the croziers are loosening. Would you be as confident about that, @KeenOnGreen ? I'd really like to do it this year rather than next, if I'm not too late (apologies for jumping in on your thread, @B3 )
    - Cicero
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    I don’t have that particular fern @LG_ but I see no reason why you can’t divide it now.  All of my ferns have really prominent knuckles now and I usually divide them just before they open.  Even if a few of the fronds have started growing I would still think it is ok. 

If you have any hard frosts after you divide them, I would put them somewhere sheltered for the night (even if they are hardy).  
    Thanks @KeenOnGreen - we have 1° forecast for the next few nights, then 4°+ so I'll do it at the weekend - thanks for giving me the courage, it has been bugging me!
    - Cicero
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 369
    That must be an impressive fern @B3. I've never had much luck with ferns, they just die on me.