Forum home Plants

Plant id suggestions

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 608
This was supposed to be a Losetto tomato. Clearly not. Any suggestions? I suppose it could be a type of aubergine? It definitely came out of the Losetto packet and looks like nothing else I am growing. I have had quite a few rogue seedlings this year...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    I’d go with tomato ... some varieties are what’s called ‘potato leaved’ where the leaves are more solid not divided as most tomatoes are. 

I’ll Google and see if Losetto is one of them ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• REMF33REMF33 Posts: 608
    edited April 2021
    Thank you.
    If this is a Losetto then I don't know what its twin is, though :) (It looks like a 'normal' tomato.) It doesn't smell like a tomato. I had this one under a grow light and initially thought it was some weird grow light effect!
    edited April 2021
    Hmm ... it’s not described as potato leaved but it does have a very different growth habit to most Toms. 

What looks most odd is that your plant doesn’t have a ‘growing tip’ ... it’s supposed to be a trailing bush type so it may develop some side shoots ... it does look as if it’s growing not quite normally ... it’ll be interesting to see how it grows from here. 

But I think it’s definitely a tomato. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Odd that it doesn't smell tomatoey. I am a bit scared of it! :)

This is the 'other' Losetto I am growing. Maybe the rogue one is a genetic throwback...

Most peculiar ... hope you’re going to keep it going ... in the name of research 🔬 🧐 

I shall!

I have another three rogue seedlings as well... One is not a dahlia, another, not a linaria and the third is not a calendula!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,028
    And my Thalias  weren't.
    In London. Keen but lazy.