Forum home Garden design

Planting next to a wall.

lister_lizardlister_lizard Posts: 16
edited April 2021 in Garden design
There is a wall on my house that is next to a small area I think I can plant something in. 

If I put a trellis on the wall could I plant an akebia quinata, or will it cause issues with the bricks etc? 

(Photo of a wall attached) 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    The recommended distance to plant any climber from a wall is 12 to 18 inches. The foundations for the wall will be under that section so soil depth will be too shallow as well.
    You don't say how much sun it gets but if its reasonably sunny sempervivums would do well there with good drainage and finished off with gravel on top.
  • Hmm thanks, so not really enough space from the wall to plant any climbers. I do have some herbs just on the other side so sempervivums are probably a better option. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,744
    What @K67 says is generally correct, but I've had plants thrive quite happily in that amount of soil below a wall, including tonnes of weeds.  It depends on the depth of any soil at that spot. 

If you can dig down a foot or so, and enrich with lots of well-rotted manure, then that will help plants have a chance.  You will always need to water regularly.  If you are prepared to do that, then I would give a climber a chance.  Avoid anything really big and shrubby (like a climbing Hydrangea), I'm thinking more like some Clematis.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    As keenongreen says but even better if you have a paving slab path as you can dig under the slab and improve the soil or lift the slab dig out and replace the soil then put the slab back after you have planted your climber and allowed the soil to settle. I have done this but the clematis didn't really thrive so I ended up moving it.
    A clematis usually come in a deep pot and you plant it about 3 to 4 inches lower so you could angle it under the slab a bit.
    If it's a solid concrete path that might not be possible.
    Given that your site will be almost like a pot and a recommended pot size for clemtis is 45cm cube you need to improve a bigger area that you think.