Forum home Plants

How to deter fox from messing/digging up pot soil

newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,537
I have planted roses in large pots. Fox has been messing up pots daily, digging out soil, sometimes uprooting the plant too. I replant and water but this has caused setback on many plants now. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022
    Holly leaves or something equally prickly.
    Did you put blood fish and bone in the pots? That will attract them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,537
    thanks. I didnt put FBB but it might have been present in the MPC I used. I will try putting something prickly.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,399
    I have also found fox gift 'eggs' buried in bigger pots with roses in them. Usually this happens when the roses are small and there is enough surrounding space in the pots to bury their treasures. And they seem to return regularly in subsequent days to dig out their cache and in that process, they seem to dig into many of the pots nearby. When the rose branches leaf out in spring/summer and cover the pots beyond their rims, they are no longer the targets of foxes.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,537
    edited April 2021
    i havent checked there was something burried. will check next time. They dont touch the roses in ground at all. Just behind all my potted roses. i will have to protect until roses bush out. All are little bare roots planted this season. My poor Jude the obscure has only one green cane left.