Forum home The potting shed

Sowing seed direct into ground

granmagranma Posts: 1,914
I've a new border ,
and this year  was thinking of  sowing direct  into the soil where I want them to flower,I like the idea of sowing in drifts.. Are there any hard and fast rules to apply to this  way of sowing?
 I had sown  some four week ago and nothing is happening,I'm thinking maybe although seed pkt said March  I may have been impatient and should
have waited ?????

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,509
    I tried that, Gran, I never see them again, I think the slugs probably nip the tops off as soon as they emerge,  I’d rather sow in trays then plant out when they’re bigger. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,427
    I can't see any reason it shouldn't work.  After all, nature doesn't sow seeds into trays and keep them sheltered until frosts are gone.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,754
    Probably only worth doing if you can collect your own seed and sow far more than you need in hopes that a few will come up - just as plants do. Between the weather, slugs and snails, birds, cats and whatever other beasties frequent your plot the plants don't get much of a chance. The ones that do make will probably have been beaten hands down by the weeds too, which always seem to grow in the blink of an eye and then you've got to sort them out....
    That said, I have managed it once or twice with escholtzia and cornflowers, which are easy to recognise and Echium that are fairly hefty  and some other plants that were in the mix. I'm going to give it another go this year, when this cold spell is over, just because I have loads of old seed in packets that I may as well try to use up and a relatively empty space to try it on. Hope springs eternal!
    P.S.I've still got lots of things in trays as backup :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,557
    Hello granma, long time, I never sow anything direct,they only come up like that when they seed themselves
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,914
    Hi NB,,  Good to see you and lots of other friends are still on here, hopefully stay a bit longer  than last time! 
    Hope you and family are well

Maybe try only  the old seed scattering in the borders, see what happens!!!!!!!
    Probably still end up rushing round the nurseries for plants !!!!!!
    Yup all well thanks gm
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I've found it works for straw flowers and cornflowers only......
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 202
    Soil preparation, method of distributing the seed, to cover or leave the seed to it's own resouces?  That is the question.
    Hello Mike Allen, long time, how are you doing? Yeah, to seed or not to seed, that is the question!!.  I found it works with Nigela,Opium poppies, (weeds!) not sow by me
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 202
    Hello NB.  Thanks for the friendly post.   So as not to offend members.  I have sent you a PM.