Forum home Plants

Hawthorn Paul's scarlet has no branches?

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a hawthorn tree online. It arrived yesterday, it is 2.4m tall, and to my surprise, it has no branches at all??? It is just a bare long 3cm thick pole with 5 or 6 buds on it towards the top. Is this expected??? I was not expecting miracles but thought it should at least have some branches at this height? Customer services dismissed me, saying young trees don't have any branches. I just wanted to check this is correct, please. Your replies will be much appreciated. Thanks so much! Petra

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Plant it ... look after it. It’ll have 5 or 6 branches by the end of the year. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,149
    edited April 2021
    You pay for  trees according to age./size.
    A very young tree with just a bare stem and buds is called a whip...see link.

Quote....."What is a whip?
    A whip is a transplant consisting of only a single slender stem, without significant side branching. The term usually refers to woody plants that are between two and four years old. The whip form reflects the natural characteristics of the mature tree. Whilst some species are well branched from a young age, others such as Acer platanoides and Prunus avium are more whip-like."

To get an older tree with branches would be very much more expensive...as the nurseryman has to care for it for a further year or more...carrying all the risk of losing it.

Dove is correct.
    Young trees establish quickly ...often better than more mature trees.

https://nurserymen.co.uk/solutions/tree-size-guide/
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .